What is Computer Vision?
The field of Computer Vision allows a computer to emulate human vision by showing a perception and understanding on an image or video. This perception can then be used to allow the computer to make decisions, for example detecting the collision of an object coming towards it, or identify parts of an input image such as a face or type of object.
A computer goes through a process of analysing the images or videos information to produce numerical or symbolic data. This data is then used by accompanying computer programs to make decisions on the data.
- Automotive industry as part of a driver assistance strategy (ADAS)
- Medical in the application of better diagnosis
- Treatment and prediction of diseases
- Entertainment systems, such as gaming
What could Computer Vision be used for?
Uses for computer vision systems include:
- Object detection and recognition, then also segmenting the object in the area of interest.
- Image processing and filtering
- Organising information databases of images
- Part of a great system to detect objects and actions (i.e. a person about to walk out into the path of a moving vehicle)